View Single Post

Old 09-26-2023, 09:15 PM

Liked 129 Times in 62 Posts

Just do it!
I, like I suspect of the OP, think I have to come up with a practical reason for everything I do, and all too often that must translate to finances somehow. I think others have established here that there are "a lot" of other practical reasons to reload. I do it 'cause I love it! Way, way more than a trip to the beach. Which is enough to pay for most of my kit and a years worth of supplies!
Truly, for me, reloading has not cost me anything at all, rather it saves me money. I have a Redding T7 hidden in a nice cedar entertainment center that I got cheap, and reinforced the daylights out of. I keep it near where my wife likes to sew, and we just hang out and do what we do.
Some have commented that it's fun to go for accuracy on rifles, not so much on pistols. Please let me offer the "opposite" experience! I have probably found rifles slightly more challenging to dial in a "perfect" load for, but once it's found, well, it tends to be more expensive to keep playing. Not so with pistols! Mind, I'm a bullseye shooter, but I love nothing more that loading up 100 rounds across a powder load spectrum, then shoot 4 targets of 5 shots for each load range, discard a flyer or two and average the groups, and I "very rarely" cannot find the potential sweet-spot, then just keep dialing it in that way to the exact tenth of a grain. Sometimes you lose your reference and have to start weighing each bullet and brass, and if you get there, you know you're over the top. Pretty sure there's no practical use for that kind of accuracy from a gun fired at arms length, but man do I enjoy it!
Just do it! If you don't like it, it's one less thing you have to wonder about as you enjoy your retirement, and you will not have lost much if anything for your trouble.

Last edited by oneoff; 09-26-2023 at 09:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: