View Single Post

Old 11-20-2023, 08:35 AM

Liked 1,104 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413Maxwedge View Post
Last weekend I had my local GS order me a new 640 chambered in .357. I picked it up this weekend but the store didn't have any .357,.38SPL or .38+P so I haven't taken it to the range yet. I do have ammo coming via UPS.

I thought I gave it a thorough look-over at the store but tonight I found something that bothers me. The S&W product page for this gun shows the barrel stamped with "S&W .357 MAGNUM" but mine says ".38 S&W SPL. +P". I don't have any .357 rounds so I don't know if the cylinder is .357 or just .38spl/.38spl+p. Aluminum .38SPL snap-caps fit nicely.

The cardboard box it came in says model 640-3 and .357, and the serial #s match. This is a brand new gun ordered through my LGS from his S&W distributor.

So did they put the wrong barrel on my gun? I thought they always stamp the barrels with the largest caliber that it's designed for. Even if the cylinder is a .357 I don't really feel safe trying them through this barrel/gun.

I emailed S&W tonight under "Repair Request" and explained this. Not sure how long till I hear from them, so I registered here and am asking you guys if you know about this.
Pictures???