View Single Post

Old 12-02-2023, 12:09 AM

Liked 4,128 Times in 1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
Lou, I do not know the specific circumstances that caused the failure of the ER, but I can say with 50 years experience shooting S&W's, it is a very rare occurrence. To happen to you twice and both on 8 shot revolvers puzzles me. I wonder if they are more susceptible to breakage than the standard 6 shot revolvers.

I must ask.... has the ER been removed and reinstalled prior to this happening? Maybe it was tightened a bit to much. Could it have been turned the wrong way during take-down?

Without more info, I can not do much more than to guess.
On my 327 R8, it snapped off, after coming back from the factory. Without me removing it whatsoever. It had happened on my 2nd or 3rd outing. Again. Without it being removed by anyone, other than factory hands.
On this gun, not even the cylinder had been removed for cleaning. At all. ( I clean the guns with the cylinder on). It has been my backup gun for the R8. And I would consider it , by my definitions, a hardly used gun. Round count on the gun is only 1,953. Plus the rounds I fired today that I haven't counted yet.

It puzzles me greatly, why this part would snap off almost in the same identical spot! Is this something we should be concerned about?? On my R8, the round count when that failed was maybe around 6k rounds. A post was made here on the forumby me , of it. My memory is not 100% on that exact round count. But, if I find the thread, I'll see if I can dig up those pics.
I recently went through a phone and memory backup, and all my old pictures are hard to retrieve, unless I go through the backups and download those originals. But I'm sure some forum members might remember them.