View Single Post

Old 12-25-2023, 10:41 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,242 Times in 4,858 Posts

I can only speak for myself as most of the gun people I know (men) who are still alive don’t do much with handguns. I’d guess none of them, or maybe only one, wear a handgun in public. I’ve never known any woman who routinely, or even occasionally, carried a handgun.

When I was younger, a bit trimmer, and had “more to lose” than I do now, I would lug around a .45 Commander about 90% of the time, and the other 10% generally an S&W Chief’s Special of one model or another. As life moved along, I gradually carried a weapon less, but nevertheless tended to have one within reach. I still do. (I also realize the likely futility of the “in reach” scenario if a weapon is desperately needed.)

Every now and then I’ve caught myself wondering why this change has taken place, and I can only think of laziness. I live in a pretty peaceful environment, but I do think the odds of needing a weapon urgently are greater now than they were, say, 30 years ago… maybe? How much greater, I don’t know. Maybe none at all? I have several pistol/holster combinations I could press into service if I decided to regularly wear a gun these days. Most likely the old standbys would stay home and I would take my P365.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: