View Single Post

Old 12-28-2023, 05:46 AM

Liked 76 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHL View Post
You've done nothing wrong and broken no rules, ThirdGen9623.

Combining a MIM sear with a forged hammer (or vice versa) has no effect on wear for either part.

In fact, the MIM sear is the S&W approved replacement part for all 3rd gen pistols that use that style sear.

That internet myth got started when S&W redesigned the DAO hammer and sear to MIM parts.

The original forged DAO sear was LARGER than the TDA (da/sa) sear and the new MIM sear was the same size (smaller) as the TDA sear for the sake of commonality of parts.

Newer DAO and TDA sears are MIM and are the same part number.

As a guide to their assemblers, S&W had printed on the new sears, "On DAO models, a MIM sear must be used with a MIM hammer".

This wasn't because of the difference in materials.

This was because of a difference in SIZE between the two sears.

This was misunderstood as a prohibition against mixing materials and repeated so often on the net that it was accepted as gospel.

Again, the MIM sear is a S&W direct service replacement part for all TDA and late model DAO sears.

If you like the looks of the forged hammer over the MIM hammer, enjoy it with impunity.

I will say the lighter MIM hammer has the advantage of a faster lock time, but as these are service pistols and not target pistols, that advantage is insignificant.

John
This is a wonderful tidbit of info. I was looking into this (among another issue that BMCM solved for me) but didn’t make a post about it at the time. It is a relief to read! Thank you for your insight. It’s awesome we still have experts like you guys willing to weigh in!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: