View Single Post

Old 12-28-2023, 03:26 PM

Liked 1,035 Times in 267 Posts

I have been a daily CCW carrier since Jan '64, when I entered LE. Given that amount of time I have gone through a fair number of handguns and carry methods.

The ongoing challenge was always to balance 'enough gun' (as Robert Ruark would put it) with comfort and concealment, and thus the willingness to EDC.

I went through a number of semi-autos and revolvers during this time, too numerous to mention here. Overall the best balance, for me, was the K frame S&W. During this time, sometime in the mid-'70s, our department adopted the S&W 66 for mandatory carry, 4" for uniforms, 2 1/2" for plain clothes, and optional for command personnel.

Unfortunately our experience with these 66s was, at best, beset with problems. In '81 I was promoted to the top of the civil service chain. Shortly thereafter I had the opportunity to switch my patrol division from 4" 66s to 4" 686s, at no cost beyond sales tax. For my division, the largest in the department, the switch to the 686 eliminated the 66 problems. The 686s were perfect right out of the box. We still had the 66s for the other divisions though, and the 2 1/2" for plain clothes and detectives. Since it was my discretion whether to dress in uniform or plain clothes, I checked out a 2 1/2" 66 for when I was in plain clothes. I concluded that this configuration was ideal for .38+p or .357 concealed carry. Looking far ahead to retirement I decided I wanted such a configuration revolver for EDC, but not wanting the same issues we had experienced with the 66s, I chose a 2 3/4" Ruger Security Six. From the time of purchase I have had a nylon Hogue Monogrip and a spurless hammer on it. Great choice, great shooter, great revolver.

But the winds of change were blowing. We went through a transition period during which revolvers were issued, but personnel could also purchase their own semi-auto (from a wide ranging approved list) in 9mm, .40 or .45 ACP. During this time one of our CSI guys offered me a 9mm S&W 467 that the courts had assigned to our department following disposition of a court case. The department could use it as they pleased, but could not transfer it. I took a look at this pistol and found immediately that this double stack grip fit my large hand better than any other handgun I had ever handled. I shot it and really liked it, but the action was terrible. I had my local gunsmith do an action job on it, on my dime, despite the fact that I could never own it. With that action job on top of the fit to my hand, I just could not miss with that pistol. I had gone from a 4" 686 to a light weight cutdown 3 1/2" barrel semi-auto and could shoot it more accurately at 25 yards (the max on our qualification course) than my 686, and much more quickly. I was smitten.

But that was not to last. The department decided on the full size .40 Glock (forget the number) for all personnel, foolishly avoiding the then mid size Glock for plain clothes or command carry.. I could keep on carrying the 467 off-duty, but I decided I should have this great design for my own. So I bought the then current iteration, the 6906, and had the gunsmith do the same action job.

That pistol was/is the ideal balance. But then later along came the Glock 26, even more compact, double stack grip (along with added Pearce magazine extender), great trigger right out of the box, absolute reliability. This further refined my preferences and I carry it to this day. I won't be changing to a more compact later version because the State of Calif, fearful of something, I guess, won't allow these later versions to be sold in this crime free bastion of safety. Only too happy to contribute my part of course.

Even in the extremely safe area in which we live, I still carry every day. Even if we are only going to the closest town to shop, 30 miles, I want it with me in the event I come across an injured animal that has been struck by a car and needs to be put down for humane purposes. I have several methods of carry to suit my preference at the time.

We are well past kids as residents here, so I can leave my EDC out for convenience. But that is only for convenience. If I am aware of a possible threat, four legged much more likely than two legged, I have my Remington 870. But we are in an area as free of crime as is possible anywhere. Our property, without it being too obvious, is a compound. That is not to say someone can't get in. They can, but it won't be quick and it won't be easy. Thus far, in 29+ years, home invasion robberies, or residential burglaries, are not an issue here. Mucho different from where we lived when I was working, because that was gang-central.

Last edited by RetCapt; 12-28-2023 at 03:43 PM.
The Following 14 Users Like Post: