View Single Post

Old 12-28-2023, 07:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,961 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired W4 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has done the math to come up with muzzle energy on the round. I might be able to tolerate more noise knowing I killed the VC I was aiming at. Most all of us came home with some level of hearing loss any way. I know I did.

BTW, I carried Revolver, Cal. .38 in the cockpit.
I've gone through as much paperwork as I was able to find on the TW/QSPR back in the 1990's, including most of the files from the Limited Warfare Laboratory.

Penetration was actually a concern voiced by a number of people in the field when they first saw the revolver; the folks doing the demonstrations would then shoot though sheets of plywood to demonstrate penetration. I suppose up close and personal, that would be sufficient.

As to the projectile, the term I saw used most commonly was "Mallory balls". It was my understanding that these were a particularly hard spherical ball and should not be confused with simple lead buckshot sort of projectiles. I don't know if I still still have the files, I need to check. I seem to remember tungsten being mentioned and the projectiles may have been made from or had a high tungsten content.

When I was researching this back in the 1990's I was at an SWCA Symposium and, being new to the historical firearms research game, was trying to impress and old time collector/researcher/author with my newfound TW/QPR knowledge. I was describing the ammunition to him and he reached into his pocket and pulled out a fired round!!

Best,
RM Vivas
SWCA#1482L, SWHF#837
The Following 3 Users Like Post: