View Single Post

Old 12-30-2023, 03:15 AM

Liked 738 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Armed View Post
I hate to be that guy who choose options that weren't offered, but I'd choose neither...
I'm going with neither. Same for leather, which looks nice but isn't as practical as the best choice.

The purpose of the pocket holster is not to retain the gun - your pocket does that. The purpose is to insure the correct orientation of the gun is maintained while you move around and sit, so it doesn't wind up upside down pointing at your head. Another function is to cover the trigger guard to prevent accidental actuation of the trigger.

IMHO, you don't want anything hard-sided in your front pants pocket, it's both obviously odd-appearing and uncomfortable as you move around and sit. It's also bulky.

You also don't want anything that you have to make some extraneous or additional motions to draw the gun in a hurry - like catching a tab, pushing a leather piece, etc. It's difficult enough drawing any gun from a pocket. Adding time to the equation when someone it trying to kill you is bad juju.

DeSantis Nemesis or SuperFly, Mika Pocket and Uncle Mike's Pocket are all soft-material holsters that carry comfortably, unobtrusively and release the gun quickly with no extra moves. I've used all three, all good, prefer the DeSantis for the thinness with durability.

PS. I would avoid any pocket holster than incorporates an ammo pouch for a speed-strip as part of the holster, unless you plan on pocket-carrying in a big coat pocket. Even if it fits in your pants pocket, the loader interferes with releasing the revolver from the holster.

Last edited by Model 15-4ever; 12-30-2023 at 03:24 AM.