View Single Post

Old 12-30-2023, 11:19 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,039 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrafsr View Post
I got to Bien Hoa on 10/31/64. After checking in I sacked out and was awakened by many booms. The loud speaker came to life and we were informed we were under attack.
I went to Air Police headquarters for assignment and was put in charge of 20 USAF personnel along a perimeter fence. It was a long night, but we had no issues thankfully.
I did have one Sgt. who was given an AR15, and he asked me how to load it, as he never saw one before. I told him to just sit tight and if necessary I would teach him how to load it, if and when the time came to use it.

Another Airman was given an M2 carbine and he too did not know how to operate it.
Dad qualified "Small Arms Expert" I think it was called, using the Smith & Wesson revolver, and an original M-16. He didn't remember model number, for the S&W.
Before deploying, he had my grandpa, who owned a sporting goods/hardware store, order a BHP. He wanted more capacity and thump, than 6 shots of 130 grain FMJ. The Browning was stolen, from the Q, at Clark. He ended up carrying, and never using the Smith and Wesson nor the Colt.
Internet sleuthing suggests that the events of 2am 11/1/64 may have been an inside job, in that the perimeter had been breached, before the attack, which was launched from inside the base.
Crazy war! Terrifying night!!! My deepest respect to all that served.