View Single Post

Old 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 972 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk008 View Post
Hey all,

I was wondering through a local shop and saw a 5944 for sale at $399. It was probably in about 80% condition, but what surprised me most was seeing a 3gen model I was unaware of. Typically I’m not a huge fan of DAO or alloy frames, but what would be a can’t pass up deal on a 5944?

5944 is a blue aluminum frame DAO variation of the 5943 silver aluminum frame DAO
or a blue aluminum frame version of the more common stainless frame DAO 5946
or a blue aluminum frame DAO version of the blue aluminum frame TDA 5904

They were made for a brief time when SW was trying to produce every variation possible with their basic 3rd generation 59xx, 69xx, 40xx, 45xx, 10xx frames but the less popular models were short lived.

They were made from 1990-1992 - most if not all had the D shaped trigger guard but with the more desirable Novak fixed sights.

I have one dated by SW as 3/1990 and in my opinion it is a very nice pistol, just as reliable as its 5906/5946 stainless brethren but a bit lighter to carry if thats your thing.

In my experience these days, if its in good condition mechanically with a decent finish and a single mag its worth the $399 you mentioned. Add a box, an extra mag, and/or better finish and it would easily bring $500+ on GB.

Only potential "negative" is the blued finish - if properly cared for it is not a problem but I have seen one with evidence of corrosion on the slide. The quality of the finish is good but if not properly cared for any blued finish on steel is susceptible to corrosion.

PS it may have originally come with a blue 14rd mag, but the replacement SW mags would be the 15rd stainless mags which are still available - Midway had them recently for about $35 as I recall.

Also check for dimple on the grip - these were made in the transition from early grips which were subject to cracking if dropped to the later improved grips which were provided as free replacements and are identified by a dimple on the exposed base of the grip. Replacement grips are also still available.

Last edited by ACEd; 12-30-2023 at 11:10 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: