View Single Post

Old 01-06-2024, 07:51 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

First, I need to admit I have a gun buying addiction. I believe I have every gun mentioned in this thread. Within my collection is an Equalizer, a 9 Shield EZ, a 380 Shield EZ, a 9 Shield 2.0 PC 3.1" ported barrel, a 9 Shield Plus PC 4" ported barrel, and a 9 Shield Plus 3.1" barrel with night sights. I like them all and believe each one has some unique feature or quality.

The OP asked about muzzle flip and recoil so here are my opinions. The Performance Center ported barrels definitely have less (about 1/3) muzzle flip and get back on target quicker. Between the 9mm non-ported barrels, the Equalizer probably has a little less flip/recoil due to additional mass. The Shield Plus 3.1" having the most flip/recoil.

As for round capacity, what's not to like about 15 round mags for the range. My Plusses and Equalizer all have 15 round mag compatibility which is nice. Capacity is a range/carry trade off in my opinion. When I carry, my priorities are weight and concealability. My favorite carry piece is the Shield 2.0 PC with an 8 round magazine. It is my most concealable gun and I carry it in a L.A.G. Tactical Defender OWB holster. I can't imagine a self-defense situation requiring 15 rounds - that would be a fire fight.

They all can be shot well with practice but I have my favorites. I get my best shot groups with the Shield Plus PC 4" barrel. It's probably attributable to the 4" ported barrel and added mass. It has an optic but so does my Equalizer. My second best shot groups come from the Shield 2.0 PC with a ported barrel. I guess that makes the Performance Center ported barrel guns the best shooters for me.

I'm 78 so my hands aren't as strong as they used to be. Although I can still rack a Shield Plus, I prefer the EZ rack technology guns when dry-firing due to all the racking required. Range shooting doesn't really require very much racking. I would highly recommend dry-fire practice to anyone not having a range in their back yard. I believe finger and grip control is the key to accurate shooting. My laser cartridges of choice are Quantum XG's from G-Sight in both 9mm and 380.

I like to keep pieces strategically located throughout the house in case a self defense situation should arise. That's where the 380 EZ comes in since my wife handles it the best. The Shield Plus 3.1" with night sights is a great shooter in the dark.

Overall, I like my Equalizer, it's a good shooting, easy to rack pistol. But, it's not my best shooter, nor the easiest to conceal and carry. It's just not my favorite pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shields.jpg (85.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by MikeNV; 01-07-2024 at 05:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: