View Single Post

Old 01-09-2024, 02:05 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,827 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Reviewing my huge image collection of period gunleather images, IMHO the closest you will get outside of one marked for that patrol, are the spring-lock versions by Eastern makers JayPee, Audley, J.M. Bucheimer, Service Mfg; all of whom are related companies.

I notice that none of the patrol pics show the leg tiedown being used by the officers. It is often photographed with the laces tied around the holster itself. These are commonplace on auction sites.
Mr. Nichols is correct. Charles Hulan did business under Perfection Leather Goods, and they have a web site, but it seems not to be in use. The only products shown now are equestrian and canine related leather goods.

The belt shown is the Sam Browne Belt, and the holster has the D-rings attached to facilitate use of the shoulder strap (I have heard some people refer to the shoulder strap as the "Sam Browne," apparently not knowing that it was the belt named after Sir Samuel Browne, a British Army officer in India who invented the belt. Often, the D-rings were sewn into the belt itself, and the shoulder strap was attached. It seems that the shoulder strap was used to help with weight distribution of the sword or sabre, and the strap usually passed over the right shoulder. Naturally, as police in the 20th century did not carry swords or sabres, agencies decided the shoulder strap would be used to distribute the weight of the revolver, hence it was affixed to the holster and would pass over the left shoulder.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol used leather made for it by Dehner's of Omaha, and over the decades, the unused leg tie down disappeared, the studs were replaced by snaps, and the safety strap to hold the revolver in against strenuous movement was moved from over the trigger guard to over the hammer, but the D-rings attached to the swivel holster always remained and are still affixed that way today by Safariland, who supplies the MSHP with its security holster for their Glock 17 Gen 5 pistols.

Simply for comparison, I am attaching a picture of the "Missouri Style" as it was called by Dehner's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (121.4 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 03-11-2024 at 10:19 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: