View Single Post

Old 01-09-2024, 10:39 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,161 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarshall99 View Post
V1917 ...What does the "S" indicate?

I also was interested in arsenal rework and refinishing. What finish would be put over an early Victory Black Magic finish. Is there a way of finding out more of the history of this gun past the ship date that a letter would provide.
Hello gmarshall99:

In some circumstances the S mark in certain locations can indicate that a gun has been worked on by the S&W Service Department. Given the limited photos provided I will venture that this is not the case here. The S mark on your revolver is most likely a fitter's, assembler's or inspector's mark. It is of little consequence.

I have never seen any evidence that any government arsenal "reworked" or refinished to blue 4 inch .38 Special Victory Model revolvers. The government did enter into a contract with S&W during late WW2 to rebuild Victory revolvers but those guns were refinished to Black Magic and have other markings that reveal a rebuild under that contract.

My opinion is that your revolver was refinished while in civilian hands and not by S&W or by any government arsenal.

As to any history beyond what might be provided in a SWHF letter the only source I can suggest would be the Springfield Research Service. I would caution you that finding a serial number listed by SRS is a very long shot and you have to subscribe to their service to be able to access that. See the link: Services |

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie
The Following User Likes This Post: