View Single Post

Old 01-14-2024, 03:22 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,272 Times in 386 Posts

The trigger pull lubrication test results are in!

Short & Sweet was locked into a bench vise by the barrel. She's a curvy girl so I was able to clamp the padded vise jaws around the barrel without interfering with the rotation of the ejector rod. Ambient temperature in the garage was 68 degrees. All tests were performed with a 14lb Wilson rebound spring and a Wilson mainspring.

I did 6 trigger pull measurements with each lubrication method. The pull weights were not identical on each chamber but were all within 1/2 pound +/- of each other so I went with the middle measurements. No single action measurements were taken due to the DAO hammer.

The first test with with grease since she was already lubed that way. Then the insides were moved to the outside and everything was degreased with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Reassemble and repeat test. Move the insides to the outside and add 2 drops of light oil to each stud + 2 drops on the rebound slide area. Reassemble and repeat test.....

Grease: 11 pounds 4 ounces
Dry: 11 pounds 8 ounces
Oil: 11 pounds 2 ounces

Steelslaver wins.

Next up was the hammer tension measurements with various degrees of backing out on the strain screw. It appears that the tip of my strain screw is not exactly square. Hammer tension is presented first, followed by the double action trigger pull.

Fully seated: 56 ounces (11lb 2oz)
1/4 turn out: 54 ounces (11lb 8oz)
1/2 turn out: 50 ounces (10lb 2oz)
1 turn out: 40 ounces (10lb 8oz)
1 1/2 turns out: 30 ounces (9lb 4oz)

The strain screw has been fully seated again and those godawful magna grips reinstalled for easy access to the screw. Today's range session will include a "loosen until misfire" test using Winchester small pistol primers. My prediction is that 1/2 turn will work but after that it will get iffy. If that's true, I'll be digging another strain screw out of the pile and adjusting its' installed length to match the original screw at the 1/2 turn out position, leaving the original screw intact.

I measured Bullshooters trigger just for fun while I had everything set up. 48 ounces of hammer tension, 8.5 pound double action pull, 2.5 pound single action pull. This was with a Wilson mainspring and a 12 pound Wilson rebound spring. I sense more testing in the near future....

Last edited by Shotguncoach; 01-14-2024 at 03:24 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: