View Single Post

Old 01-15-2024, 06:05 PM

Liked 4,896 Times in 1,407 Posts

The mention of Wartrace, TN got my attention, along with a reference to the Tennessee Highway Patrol, "THP. I doubt that Mr. Hulan is still with us and there is, to my knowledge, not a holster maker in Wartrace.

Wartrace is 12 miles from my house and you pass through Cascade Hollow, the home of George Dickel Whisky, and Normandy, TN.

This thread also give me an opportunity to repost some information about an uncle that I never met. His name was William Howard James and he was a patrol officer, assigned to motorcycle patrol, for the THP. He was killed in the line of duty while leading an Army Convoy through the hills of East TN, on a rain slicked highway, in September, 1942.

I have attached a copy of his "graduation" photo in his new uniform and Sam Browne issue belt, shoulder strap and holster. The holster, as you can see, is worn in a "cross draw" position and is a different style, with a full flap. You will also note that the holster is missing a duty revolver.

A couple of photos of the memorial for Troopers who died in the line of duty are included, one showing his name. The memorial is located at the Tennessee Department of Safety's headquarters in Nashville, TN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1901.jpeg (64.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0290.jpeg (111.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg (140.4 KB, 17 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: