View Single Post

Old 01-19-2024, 05:02 PM

Liked 368 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion View Post
This is the essence of the debate. These conversations always remind me of fire extinguishers. Anybody who has ever encountered the frustration of trying to put out a fire with too small of a fire extinguisher will understand the analogy. Carry what you want, but unless you can always predict what fire you are going to have to put out it may be prudent to not just have a stove top fire extinguisher at hand.
Thank you for the input.
The difference in my thinking would be that I am saying that the tool and strategy and skill all get implemented by the thinking and preparation of the fighter. Because I am carrying a short-range low-capacity weapon, I am going to have to close with my target. I know what the tool can do, so I am going to get where I need to be and do what I need to do to use that tool effectively.

We like to watch "mag dump videos". Over and again, we see a cop, or a defender dump a whole mag or two with no effect. He thrusts the gun forward in the general direction of the threat and flexes the trigger finger until all ammo is depleted. He does what he believes is supposed to work. And in a prime-time, crime drama, that IS what does work!

I try to continue with your fire extinguisher analogy, and I think we all understand that we cannot argue or prove from an analogy, we just use it to illustrate our thinking. I watched my neighbor's house burn down and noted how the firefighters used their hoses. After it was all over, I asked why they had sprayed the water through the fire at one stage, instead of directly on to the burning wood. He said, "We had to lower the temperature of the fire." They also sprayed water on the outside of the next house. That was obvious they were saving the whole neighborhood. First house was already gone. I respect them and their knowledge and I ain't been to their school. Your tiny kitchen fire extinguisher ought rather to be used not directly on the flaming pot itself but to keep the fire from spreading. I use the tool to do what the tool can do.

What I make clear here is that we gun people speak about the equipment we carry as if that is decisive in a conflict. I learned from the "Jeff Cooper Commentaries" why this is the way it is, and I understand and accept it.

I say again:
"A gunfight is more fight than gun!"