View Single Post

Old 01-24-2024, 11:21 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,202 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Armed View Post
What's so special about 32hr? I've just watched a few YouTube ballistics and barrier penetration test, and I looked up Lucky Gunner's ammo testing. I wasn't impressed at all and I don't understand why anyone would choose a 32hr over a 38 special especially being that ammo availability and selection with 38 special is more plentiful. It doesn't seem like it makes sense for self-defense or plinking purposes over 38 special.

I don't understand the hype over the new S&W uc 32h&r offering. Is this a case of people just wanting it because it's new or the grass is greener on the other side? Heck, on AmmoSeek.com, the cheapest ammo I see is over $1 per round! It doesn't make sense. It seems as 327 Federal would have made more sense than 32hr.
Well, I’d argue that the best part about 32H&R J frames is the plain fact that it has a capacity of 6 rounds, 20% more than a 38/357 J frame. That extra round very well could mean the difference between life or death.

Some other things I like about it that have been mentioned here and in the Lipsey video is the fact that you can shoot both magnum and 32 s&w long and short in it. All 32 long ammo tested on lucky gunner show 12”+ of penetration and no over penetration while in a low recoiling package. I reload, so cost is a non factor for me. I bought a case of 100 grain 32 Xtp bullets for 18 cents a round, so with an 8 cent primer and some W231 I can reload H&R for less than 30 cents a round.

Ok so self defense ammo is $1 a round or more factory loaded. Spend less than you do on a dinner out on the town and get 2 or 3 boxes of Buffalo Bore or Underwood and shoot 32 long for practice. 32 long is about the same cost as quality factory 38 special. Heck, the only self defense round I would consider in a short barrel 38 j frame is the HST, which is currently unobtainable and if you find it it’s definitely over $1 per round.

I will be first in line for one of the 432pds and I will now be able to carry/shoot my current 432pd more without worry about the frame cracking or additional wear on the finish.

Just my .02

SVT28
The Following 3 Users Like Post: