View Single Post

Old 01-25-2024, 12:35 PM

Liked 364 Times in 178 Posts
Default I concur

I like Red Nichols about those padded fabric Bianchi holsters. I might try that.

Others are reacting to the idea of sweaty leather as a self-evident problem. You are a hard workin' man, and all respect to you. I maybe got my holster sweaty a couple of times in summer. One time, wearing a 'belly band" type holster I got some surface rust on my Model 457, which at the end of the day, wiped off easily enough. The blue on that model is ridiculous, so I got the slide done with "cerahyde" by CCR in Gray TN which solved that problem. The anodized aluminum frame was unaffected. Are you concerned about rusting the gun or about ruining the holster?

I never store my gun in a holster. The leather does hold moisture and can rust the gun, but I never saw that with stainless. Model 686 is stainless. I think my leather holsters have picked up some oil from the surface of the gun maybe?

I have a Model 696 which goes in a Bianchi #7L. I have soaked that one through in the rain before to no effect. I did check the gun at home after and no problem that I can remember. I have soaked my belt with sweat many many times but not the holster. Now I am going to look for that.

At the Bill Rice Ranch in Murfreesboro, I was on a trail ride with a youth group which was wrangled and led by a real bowlegged OK cowboy. On the hottest day of the year he was wearing a black wool Stetson. I asked what gives and he explained it to me. He showed me the hatband and it was soaked with sweat. Once that hatband is wet, "I will never get any hotter," no matter how long he works in the sun. "But why black?" He likened it to the Arab tribes that cover themselves with black wool for protection. So, for thirty years now I wear a black wool hat to work in the sun, and it works.
My wife hates it. She does not believe me. She thinks she will find my body out there one day.
"Why do you have to do this when it is so hot??"
"Honey I'm fine.."
"Are you drinking enough?!?"
Now she's got to go get me a water bottle, so I can kiss her and thank her for lookin' out fer me.
I am going to tell her, when she finds my body dead of heatstroke, don't forget to check for any rust on the gun :-)

Kind Regards!
BrianD