View Single Post

Old 01-26-2024, 12:11 PM

Liked 355 Times in 176 Posts
Default Researched this

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothshooter View Post
I suspect someone would have to search long and hard to find more than a couple of cases where an ordinary citizen needed more than 4 or 5 shots, even against multiple assailants, to successfully deal with a bad situation.
I cannot cite my sources so TIFWIW, but I wanted to know for myself about this.
Here are some things I learned and please correct me anyone:

-There is no way to tell how many rounds were needed unless you can determine which rounds in an encounter were the ones that hit.
-People who are carrying fewer rounds fight in a different way.
-Handgun rounds work by causing blood loss and drop in blood pressure unless there is a hit to the spine or brain, which is a matter of considerable luck. There will be a passing of time while the effect is coming on. All the additional rounds after the effective one may be considered superfluous (if you can tell which one was THE one.)
-Most people do not aim or control the muzzle in any meaningful way. I hate to call it "spray and pray" because there is no prayer involved!
-Those who can aim and hit something, those who espouse "shot placement", expect their skill on the range to be decisive in a fight. Sure. Fine, but they still miss because the target moves. IOW I am trying for a head shot but really just hit the ear. Stand still please!

Ellifritz found in his work that IF the fight was decided in one round, then it was the one or two rounds alone. But if more were needed it was the capacity of the gun.

Chris Baker, LuckyGunner.com has a video about this you might like.

Kind regards!
BrianD