View Single Post

Old 02-02-2024, 01:31 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,329 Times in 1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
Maybe.
Maybe Not.
We all crave and admire Roper grips. However, I have never seen a pair that are marked with a trademark nor even a notarized letter that says they are Roper grips, but we accept them as genuine Ropers.
That is because we have examined enough of them to recognize the hand of Gagne. I mentioned above that I can see that the gun is hand polished. (I'm looking at a very large monitor) Even though well done, I can see which way his hand was traveling on most surfaces. If I could compare this gun, side by side with guns known to have been done by him, it would lend more probability that he did it, IF the same polishing was evident. Likewise, comparing widened hammers and that front sight to known work could lend credence. Add the possibility of photographs existing among Bob's effects, or memories of the gun by his close associates, and it is sometimes possible to add probability to possibility.
Maybe.
Maybe Not.
A photograph of this revolver with Bob Loveless, now this is credible provenance.

A Roper set of grips just looks and feels like it’s a set of Ropers. Of course , you never know “for sure”. But that’s not reworking of an existing object, such as a manufactured revolver.