View Single Post

Old 02-11-2024, 10:58 AM

Liked 4,320 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine49guy View Post
Nice 44 collection, Btw, you might wanna double check the 4th one down from the top,
The lack of frame top strap grooves ahead of the rear sight leaf, lack of barrel set pin and what appears to be a wider gap between cylinder and recoil shield are all clues it's more likely a 29-3.

As for the rear sight question, the 629-3 and 29-5 (which btw are equals in revision change because the 629 came out during 29-2 production so you add 2 to a SS 44 Magnum revision to figure out its blue/nickel equivelant),

The 629-3 and 29-5 were introduced with the new rounded rear sight leaf ( they were also drilled and tapped for scope mounting) the rounded leaf eliminated the need to mill all the way through the top strap), The rear sight units are unique to those two revisions as they are longer than the rear sight leafs on the 629-4 , 29-6 and later models so are not interchangeable IIRC.
Engine49guy: After I read your comment, I went and checked all of my .44 Magnums. All five (including the four Model 29-2s) have barrel pins, top strap grooves in front of the rear sight, nominal cylinder gaps, and are stamped correctly. It was probably my poor photography that led you to believe that one might be a 29-3. Thanks for convincing me to take them out of the safe and handle them again...it's been a while!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3188.jpg (120.8 KB, 19 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: