View Single Post

Old 02-15-2024, 01:27 PM

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
The stamping game in objects as small as pistol magazines can be screwed by release agents, lubes or a problem in the uniformity of the coil stock. It can be dimensions or inconsistency in alloy of the material.
@DRM50: So very true; also consider that it's entirely possible that the magazines are made (possibly semi-complete) in a progressive tool that might cycle at or around 600 strokes per minute with nothing but sensors programed to stay within (a) pre-programed tolerance. Having said that, an operator can set a 20-40k lbs. coil onto the mandrel, set the feed, line up the catch bins and move onto other jobs while 6000 or however many get pumped out...

I wonder how many fixture checks are done within a shift? I also wonder if the supplier runs to a number or to a "quality" number...

Side note: I detest where we as consumers accept lower quality for a lower purchase price. And for that matter, if they are going to be sourced and manufactured in Asia - demand and pay for high(er) quality. I still hold the belief that no one wakes up and says: "I'm going to work and make some more junk today".

But hey, every workplace has it's own culture, and in a way - the consumer either supports it or ditches it. I'm yet to see a "free lunch" when it comes to quality in manufacturing.

I don't mean to rant, but I'm 52 and grew up in the world of manufacturing, and I don't believe I need to tell/remind anyone on this forum of the Faustian bargain that started in the 1960's, was supercharged after NAFTA was passed, and has left us here.

Where that is, I don't know anymore. Faster and cheaper are just not sustainable when it comes to making a part that passes QC within an industry that has standards.

Back to it: I truly hope that they (Triple K)get their collective heads together, listen to the end user, and produce a quality magazine. Everyone (I thought?) knew that it can be done, and at the price point? I'm not much for excuses, how about you?