View Single Post

Old 02-16-2024, 09:09 PM

Liked 5,637 Times in 1,631 Posts

I have purchased several Triple K magazines that were for pistols where original factory magazines were hard to find or very expensive. Some worked, some didn't.

For the ones that didn't, the problems were traced to incorrect feed angles. I was able to solve that problem by field stripping the pistol, loading a known good magazine with several rounds of ammo and then inserting it into the frame and observing how the bullet tips were oriented compared to the feed ramps and/or chamber entrance. Then I compared the Triple K mags and tweaked the feed lips and sometimes the follower angles until they presented the rounds the same way a factory mag did.

I come from a manufacturing background and the cost to tool up for a new product can be substantial. For a gun with a limited demand for magazines like a Model 52, the break even point is going to be a long ways out. Having a good percentage of the mags returned and even worse, bad reviews hampering sales is a losing proposition for a manufacturer.

I suspect they didn't have enough examples of production Model 52's and magazines to do proper measurements and testing, and poor tooling and/or set up and quality control checks are what is leading to inconsistent performance. I don't know if the Krasne family is still involved in the Triple K company but whoever is running it had better get a handle on their problems. Some guns, like M1911 pistols seem to be a lot more forgiving of tolerance variations in their magazines and that's why so many makers produce mags that work without problems. But the Model 52 is a whole different animal. I wish them luck and hopefully we'll see reliable products coming out of their factory. Wherever it is located these days. It's not in San Diego anymore.

Last edited by Walter Rego; 02-17-2024 at 08:42 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: