View Single Post

Old 02-23-2024, 01:39 AM

Liked 355 Times in 176 Posts
Default Different Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
That's called property rights and your Constitutional rights do not void their rights. You have the right to not go anywhere you are not comfortable or anywhere you are not wanted. Your Constitutional rights do not give you the right to trespass which is essentially what you would be doing if you enter carrying a gun anywhere you see is posted telling you not to bring one in. You still do have the Constitutional right to carry the gun but if you come to my house and I tell you to leave it in the car , you must do that or leave. It is your choice and does in no way interfere with your Constitutional or Permitted right to carry a firearm. Cant state it any plainer and won't say any more on the subject. It's your life you live it as you see fit.

Yes I have heard that saying and in fact use it as part of my signature on several other forums.
I appreciate your contribution Eddie S. and others. I thought you wouldn't mind my thoughts.
Your position bears two problems in my view.
First our position is that the 2nd amendment right is like any other first class right. For example, you may not be kept out of a business because you are black or because you are Catholic. As Justice Thomas said, the right to KABA is not a "second class right". A racist may keep a black man out of his home but not out of his business. I hope that makes sense. Could a leftist bakery refuse to bake and decorate a cake for the NRA's wedding to the GOA?
Second our position would hold that since at any time a lawsuit may be filed or a conflict may arise involving police, therefore the statement that only the government is constrained by the constitution does not apply in the real world.

Our position has problems as well IMHO. We can claim the right to go anywhere armed but until we do like Rosa Parks on the bus, and until we are upheld by the courts for doing so, this is all academic. I suspect you hold to an archaic or historic doctrine of property rights that is now obsolete, though it should not be. We hold to an obsolete doctrine of rights
as well. You will hear us say for example, "The Constitution is my carry permit!" This is an idealistic mindset, not the world we live in.

Kind Regards Brother and Patriot!
BrianD