View Single Post

Old 02-26-2024, 08:09 PM

Liked 528 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAtTheEdge View Post
I know that most references including SCSW routinely describe this gun as being shipped with "smooth walnut square butt stocks with gold medallions", but I have wondered about the accuracy of this. However, my gun has checkered stocks that exhibit checkering that has a very "factory" appearance and quality to them. Furthermore, I have seen numerous others pictured online that appear to have the exact same grips.

First, is it possible that the records are incorrect, and perhaps the checkering was either a special order or possibly just mixed in randomly with the smooth stocks during assembly. I'd love to hear from anybody with any thoughts or insight into this.
OutAtTheEdge,

First of all I'd like to compliment you for posting the photos of Your "Very Fine" 3rd Model Ladysmith...Not many are found in the condition yours exhibits!!

As to the Checkered Stocks...FWIW...Two of the Three Ladysmith 3rd Model 6-Inch Targets of mine have Checkered Stocks very near ...Or the same as yours!! Also...As you have noted..."Both" of mine are Serial-Numbered to the Revolvers as well!!

As far as why Your Letter doesn't make mention of them...Liz Shuter (Well known to some of the Long-Time Members here who might have crossed paths with her over the years...Was known to those who knew her well to be the "Queen of the S&W Ladysmiths"...And for good reason if anyone has ever seen one of Her Fantastic Displays at various events years ago!!

Why I make mention...Liz & I had several lengthy discussions as to why some of these Revolvers "Letter" with them & some don't!! Her theory was..As well as mine...Since it was highly unlikely this Checkering was a Special-Order type of thing back in the day...Most likely the Factory Records make no mention of it in most cases unless an Invoice was found noting a Customer specifically ordered them to be Checkered!!

Now I realize this was speculation on both her & my part, but given she knew nearly everything that was worth knowing about these Little Ladysmith Revolvers...Many S&W Collectors listened closely to what she had to say!!

Also as an aside...You have to remember comparing about anything on these Revolvers is somewhat difficult to do being they were much smaller overall than any Hand-Ejector produced back then...Meaning most any feature on them is somewhat down-sized in comparison...If you get my meaning!! Hope at least some of this helps explain your questions!!