View Single Post

Old 02-27-2024, 03:14 PM

Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
We should have caught this earlier but that must be a Model 1 Russian frame since it has a safety hammer.
The American Frame did not see that transition until serial number in the 25,000 range so it’s a Russian frame.

It’s looking more and more like a matching rare gun to me.

I sure hope we aren’t going to visit regretville on this one. This fish needs to be caught!

Murph
BMur - thanks for this tidbit. Supica's 2006 edition S&W catalog states that even first model Americans have half cock and full cock both. The second model in the serial range that this one is in also have the interlocking hammer. Supica also does not list a 5in barrel for the Russian models, typically the Russian commercially sold models will have the "Russian" stamp on the barrel too if made for commercial market, right?

Edit: Going with the Russian theory, I think it could also be a first model Russian commercial gun, sold in the US, that was then cut down and re-stamped with the "New Model" type barrel address. Again, referring to Supica, he makes mention that there was a Russian Rejects program where around 500 units were shipped back to the states, russian markings were removed and they were re-labeled and sold commercially in the states. But 6in is the shortest barrel he mentions for Russian contract first models.

And we know it's not a Russian contract gun since there are no markings indicating this, no tpyical Cyrillic or eagle markings.

I still can't get past the barrel address that only seems to show up on New Model 3 guns. I will wait for an update below on the context of the excerpt regarding that address.

I'm sure I can obtain this piece if I wanted to bad enough - just get someone else to buy it if he is to embarrassed to talk to me.

But I unfortunately don't have the money to get trigger-happy and buy an unknown for the same price as a verified original model. And I don't have the luxury of enthusiast friends to do a group buy study project on it lol.

Last edited by Incendiary; 02-27-2024 at 03:58 PM.