View Single Post

Old 02-29-2024, 01:44 PM

Liked 33,514 Times in 9,141 Posts
Default Storing Guns in Foam Padded Cases

Have always read that was a no-no, storing guns in foam lined cases, because the foam holds moisture.

I recently acquired a gun in a satin covered, foam padded, leather presentation case. The gun is from the mid 1980s, but it looked to me like a previous owner had probably relined the case himself at some point. The foam beneath the satin was deformed and crumbling to powder, so I removed it, along with the satin covering, with the intent of refurbishing it.

Looking online for suitable foam, I found a company called Case Club (Case Club - Manufacturer of Hard Sided Cases & Custom Foam Inserts) which specializes in gun cases and in foam. The site explains that there are different types of foam. Polyurethane foam is open cell foam and holds water. Polyethylene is closed cell and does not. So I ordered some polyethylene.

I followed up with an email inquiry, explaining that I'd always heard that foam was not good for gun storage, asking their opinion. Received a prompt reply saying that all their gun cases used polyethylene, that polyethylene with a desiccant and a waterproof case was the way to go, and adding that pluckable foam, for example, is polyurethane...

I also asked if gun oil would damage polyethylene, to which the resonse was no, it would not.

Anyway, I find this interesting and pass it on.

Last edited by Onomea; 02-29-2024 at 01:45 PM.
The Following 13 Users Like Post: