View Single Post

Old 02-29-2024, 02:43 PM

Liked 33,780 Times in 9,215 Posts

My post, this thread, is making me reflect upon the purpose of gun cases. Most, I think, are for travel, a way of keeping the gun secure in transit. I think this was likely as true in the past as it is today. I bet those beautiful old English and French fitted double rifle cases, for example, were designed for getting your rifle from, say, Paris or London to Kenya. At home or on safari, they probably were not used to store the guns.

(At least if you knew what you were doing... Maybe when Lord Humphrey Bisdale Acleby III wanted one of his rifles, he'd say, "Bertie, get me my .416 Rigby!," and Bertie would go to the gun closet, get the carefully stored rifle off the rack, wipe it down, put it in its case, and take it back to Lord Humphrey and present it to him....)

Today we still have presentation cases in use. We often see them for beautiful Smith revolvers on this site. And there are guys who refurbish them beautifully. What are these used for, do you think?

My guess is, again, not for storage.

My guess is for display. Maybe displayed in the home, or maybe if taken to a gathering of like-minded friends as a conversation piece.

Thinking about why I am refurbishing the case I mention above, I think part of it is trying to make the gun look like it was when it was new. Maybe it is like guys who like to keep, maintain or find original boxes, although I have never been into that.

Also, i would think, for display, like putting a favored picture in a frame for the wall.

My interest is not for storage, as I agree with the posters above who cite better storage methods.

I do think, though, if one is going to refurbish a foam lined case, it makes sense to use the polyethylene foam.

There's Huey gun cases, for example. Extremely high end and beautiful. Surely guys buy those simply because when displaying their guns they enhance the beauty of the gun.

For those of you who have nice presentation cases, especially older cases, or who have bought nice ones, how and why do you have or use them?

How about some pics?!

Last edited by Onomea; 02-29-2024 at 02:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: