View Single Post

Old 03-01-2024, 08:02 PM

Liked 10,098 Times in 3,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
First, how could they possibly prevent the shot from being affected by the rifling! I say B.S. to this.
Years ago I made up some .44 Spl./#9 shot cartridges for the 696 I owned a the time. Shot them at a clay trap target laying on a snowbank at ca. 10 feet. In several tries, the shot made a donut around the clay bird and not a single pellet struck it!

I have played with these for 60+ years, in all calibers ever available from .22 to .44, and have reached the conclusion that "snake shot" from a revolver is absolutely useless! You have to be so close to the intended target that a bulleted load would be easy to hit the target with. Maybe if the intended target is right at your feet they might be effective.
You are 100% right, snake shot is BS. I’ve used and made it every way possible. It is going to throw doughnut pinwheel pattern if barrel is rifled. It is also only good for snake at 3’ to 4’. The smaller the shot, the lighter it is with PP penetration. You might do better with a smooth bore barrel but I have found plain old target loaded WCs are best for serious snake shooting. I have yet to run into a case where shooting snake prevented a bite. If you got time to shoot a snake it ain’t a threat. Also 38/357 and smaller don’t hold enough shot for much more than shooting bees.
When somebody says they killed a snake at 25’ with a shot load it was a very unlucky snake or story was stretched a bit.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: