View Single Post

Old 03-02-2024, 01:06 PM

Liked 364 Times in 152 Posts
Default Our 1892s Receive New Receiver Sights

I love my Lever Guns; Marlins and Miroku/Winchester to be exact. But I’m cool with Henry’s and Rossis.

As most astute Levergunners know, most of the old Marlins and Winchesters came from the factory drilled and tapped for a reciever sight like the Lyman 66LA, and the Williams aperture sights. That practice has started to go, or has already gone away. In the case of the solid top receivers, that makes sense because the top of the reciever is drilled and tapped and Williams and Skinner make an aperture sight that utilizes those holes. But as for the top ejecting 1892 the options are pretty much limited to some sort of a dovetail in the barrel sight or the tang sight. The tang sight is in the way, and the Skinner dovetail aperture is coarsely adjusted and has very little range which turns into a pain in short order.

My Friend who has a Rossi 92 managed to take possession of his deceased grandfather’s milling machine. I have a Miroku 92 that needs a reciever sight like my 1886 Miroku, 39M, and 1894 Marlin. My friend, who had reservations about drilling and tapping into nice guns agreed to partner up with me in the task of drilling and tapping.
I did gun dis, and re assembly. He had to figure out how to hold the guns on the milling machine. And I pretty much told him where to drill. New drill bit and taps from MidwayUSA were deployed.

What initially looked like a daunting task was pretty easy. I learned 92 disassembly on YouTube. And my friend made a jig to hold the receiver of the 1892s. The actual drilling and tapping was sort of anticlimactic. Reassembly was a bit fiddly, but not bad.

My Friend’s stainless Rossi with its 24 inch octagon was wearing some sort of a saddle mount with a Leupold 2-7X. Good scope, but very clumsy looking. The Rossi with the Lyman 66 LA looks great! Quigley would have been proud. During sight in, my Friend fired a couple of 3 shot groups at 50 yards that went under 1.5 inches. I fired 3 shots at an inch and a half black dot at 50y, and hit the dot twice. Not bad for 63 year young eyes.

Have a 92? I strongly recommend a receiver sight. It’s not THAT hard to drill and tap a couple of holes.

Sorry about the poor pictures. I really struggle with pics on this site for some odd reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (60.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (25.0 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Yendor357; 03-02-2024 at 01:18 PM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: