View Single Post

Old 03-04-2024, 09:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,882 Times in 2,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderboss View Post
Mike, the video that Gary posted is generally good, with the exception that the guy doesn't actually show the removal of the sight to get to the magazine disconnect spring and part to remove it.

I recently did this with my 5906. The hardest part can be actually getting the rear sight to move if it hasn't been moved since the factory. I needed some healthy doses of Kroil to get the sight unstuck from the slide.

Once that was done, remember that the sight comes off left-to-right and goes back on right-to-left. The spring and disconnector you want to remove is on the left side, so you don't actually have to remove the sight entirely, unless yours is one of the guns that has a metal plate holding the springs down. Mine didn't have that, so I only needed to move the sight far enough to release the left spring and the disconnect, and then I pushed the sight back into place.

I have a 469 that I carry that needs this treatment as well.
I think those metal plates were only on 45 ACP models.

I have three NYPD S&W third gens, 2 5946's and a 3953 TSW with the early 7 round mags. The disconnect is removed on the 5946's and you can fire with the mag out. For some reason, the off duty 3953's kept the feature. Wonder why the requirements for duty and off duty were different?

I like mag disconnects.