View Single Post

Old 03-04-2024, 10:55 PM

Liked 1,702 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
This is one subject where there is no "best", merely what you prefer based on your expectations and desires! Any .38 Special ammunition will do exactly the same thing in a range scenario, put holes in paper targets! How accurately this happens is mostly a reflection of your individual shooting ability, and not the gun or ammunition.

Don't worry about the performance figures either advertised or indicated on the packaging, it is extremely rare for any ammunition in any caliber to deliver these performance levels in actual firearms. There are many reasons for this. There is nothing "magic" about .38 Special ammunition at 750 FPS +/- or 200 FPE! If you do not own a chronograph you will never know what velocity your gun produces, and it doesn't matter!!!
I appreciate your thoughts, but they are completely erroneous and simplistic in this situation. I am looking for this loading because in shoots to POA with the fixed sights revolvers in question, which were intended to fire 158 gr at 755 fps- the "standard" loading of the time. The 130s shoot low, regardless of the interwebz. The higher velocity 158s can vary, and definitely produce more recoil. And so you know, the 4" vented catalog ballistics are usually reasonably close to what you get out a quality Smith, Colt or Ruger 4" .38 revolver. I do own a chronograph, and have been shooting .38 Special for over 30 years, so none of this is "new". I want FMJ for ease of clean-up and not dealing with lead residue in the bore and everyplace else for family shooting sessions.

It may just come down to me executing my own testing with a box of each before making a 1000 round commitment. I figured I would at least ask here first about people's direct experiences with such ammo. That may or may not have been a good idea.

Last edited by .455_Hunter; 03-04-2024 at 10:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: