View Single Post

Old 03-06-2024, 01:56 PM

Liked 219 Times in 39 Posts

Not exactly entry level but my philosophy with .22s these days is buy once, cry once. .22 is the only caliber in which it's pretty much always worth it to go straight for high quality since high quality ammunition is so inexpensive. My .22 of choice is going to be a Hammerli International 208/211. Somehow they're cheaper on the used market than S&W 41s, I guess the name recognition isn't as great here. I have a U22 Neos, I hate that gun. I also have a Beretta 87 Target. It seems Beretta can't make a target .22 anymore. I would probably need to buy an older Olympia or 89 Gold Standard to redeem my opinion on Beretta Target Pistols. And that's not to say I'm a Beretta hater, I own more guns from Beretta than any other brand.

The Hammerli 208 below, with the larger Morini grip ran me about $900 something. The 211 with the small field grips, about $975. Both are by far my most accurate handguns. The Hammerli 208 also has the distinction of holding the world record for Men's 25M Standard Pistol, and also held the record before it. The best place to find one would be Simpsonltd in my opinion. Their prices are on the high end of fair but they have great selection, and their import mark is basically invisible. They also have Hammerli 215s which are similar pistols.

If that is out of your price range, I would say buy a used (not abused) S&W K22. If you can find one for $600, that is a worthy target pistol. Of course if you intend to use it in competition understand that you are going to being handicapping yourself in the timed and rapid fire stages, especially for the .22 EIC match where you start from a 45 degree angle with the gun down before the targets turn.

Life is too short to shoot cheap .22s.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: