View Single Post

Old 03-09-2024, 10:29 AM

Liked 6,414 Times in 2,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidt View Post
There's "can it shoot" and "can you shoot". The only way to tell how accurate a gun is is to eliminate the person.

I would say everyone with good eyes ought to be able to shoot a 2" group at ten yards, slowfire.
I don't disagree. But then the question of frequency comes in. If you can shoot 2" at ten yards *all the time" then you are really good.

For reference the NRA says you're good enough to be a Certified Pistol Instructor if you can do 6" at 15 yards, and even they allow for a few misses. Extrapolate that to ten yards and it's 4 inches. Some guy somewhere wrote that he defined "proficient" as keeping all your shots on 10" at ten yards. Not a "group", all rounds. I'm not sure what he meant by that really.

The definition of "group" seems to vary. Everybody seems to like to throw out their flyers. I've seen targets posted many times listing "group" sizes that only seemed to count the bulk of the rounds and ignored an undefined number of flyers. To me, if you put 99 rounds into 2 inches and one flyer opens it up to 4" you've got a 4" group.

But those happen to all of us at least occasionally. So I think it's best to give yourself a little slack and pick a number. 90%? 95%?
The Following User Likes This Post: