View Single Post

Old 03-09-2024, 01:16 PM

Liked 7,219 Times in 3,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgianni View Post
I had some difficulty selling remnants of 12 and 8 lb kegs of shotgun powders. SW MT is not really shotgun country. I was able to move some but many were concerned about nitro leaching out of paper containers. Their comments were generally OK in shotguns but might not be in small charges in handguns.

IIRC, there was a Clays, and a Universal Clays. Clays was similar to Bullseye and Universal [after a name change from Univ. Clays] was similar to Unique.
Therewere 3Clays Powders...Clays...International Clays and Universal clays..Later shortened to one words . Powders are pretty stable and not much danger of Nitro Leaching in flake and ball powders.I once bought an estate that a lady hod poked a hole in the seals of 20 pounds of powder...filled 'em with water. I drained the water out of a pound of L'il Gun...dried it and later loaded it in both 22 Hornet and 410 AAs. Compared to new fresh powder they were both statistically identicle in velocities. I was told they would be fine. By one of the chemists for Dupont...Dupont stick powder can and may degrade over time.. But the same Dupont guy said If I had some Dupont stick powders with a bit of red rust dust in a can...dump it in a strainer to get rid of the rust dust...and go ahead and use it...If I felt unsafe reduce my load by 3%