View Single Post

Old 03-10-2024, 04:11 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,520 Times in 416 Posts

After reading the description from Armorer951 and Mr. Kuhnhausen on the "benchtop" method of recutting the trigger bevel to correct pushoff, I attempted to recut the trigger. I'm not sure if I simply didn't go far enough or if the trigger was just too far gone to be fixed, but the pushoff issue did not change. I think I actually made it worse. Edit: The picture is just for illustration. I placed the trigger and stone directly on the benchtop and not on the shop towels to do the actual cut.

It was time to go to plan B. (Or really what was plan A all along....I wanted to try fixing the trigger but didn't have much hope after seeing how round it was)

Plan B involved a parts kit for a Model 67 that I picked up around the first of the year during a sale. The parts kit contained a semi-target hammer and a smooth trigger. My plan was to replace both pieces to remove any doubt about the original hammer.

The original hand was moved from the 66 trigger to the 67 trigger and a test fit was done to check the timing. Fingers crossed.......and it worked! Yay me. The emotional support llama smiled. Since that part worked, the new hammer and the original hammer spring were installed, the strain screw tightened, and push off was tested.

We win Gracie. No pushoff at all, no matter how hard I pushed. I even tried lightly tapping with a brass hammer and it was rock solid. Very cool. (Edit: see the post from Armorer951 down the thread. This was not a good idea)

Let's put the sideplate on and do a full function check. Hammer block in, sideplate on, screws tight.....and now it's completely locked up and the action won't move at all.

The emotional support llama was not happy with me.

Loosening each sideplate screw half a turn allowed the action to almost cycle but it was tight. Time to take it apart again.
Hopefully there would be some marks inside to tell me what I had done wrong.

Can you see it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.jpg (79.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.jpg (138.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.jpg (123.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_532a.jpg (96.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0533a.jpg (283.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Shotguncoach; 03-10-2024 at 04:06 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: