View Single Post

Old 03-10-2024, 07:58 PM

Liked 378 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Hahaha this is always a divisive subject. There are so many ways to make the argument and we typically hit most of them.

There's another angle that I think gets missed.

I think one reason that SOME really like the idea of a magazine disconnect is that in the real world, with generally reckless/careless/inept gun handlers, a magazine disconnect can, will, does and absolutely has prevented many negligent discharges.

Personally, I believe that if all semiautomatic firearms had them, there would be a (continued) dumbing down and growing idiocy in gund handling.

Of course, I've long felt the same with with pistol decockers. Mankind managed with single action and double action revolvers for a long time before mechanical decockers became popular and I was of the belief then (and still now) that manually decocking a hammer on a handgun was a necessary technique that a handgun owner needs to have in his mental/physical toolkit.

Flipping a lever on a handgun to lower a hammer has never been a feature that I wanted or really enjoyed having... with guns that you love, you learn to accept parts of it that aren't your favorite. I tried to address that in my post, #4 in this discussion.
The arguments for the disconnect are safety arguments, and the arguments against involve combat readiness. There is a tension between these two concepts and nothing that we have said gives any insight into how the proper balance between them may be achieved.

Jeff Cooper always spoke against depending on any kind of mechanical device for safety. But the mag disconnect is not done by me for me, it is done by administrators to control the ignorant. The Belgians requested it on their Hi Power pistols from Browning in 1926. People just BELIEVE that taking out the mag, unloads the pistol! The Germans rejected it. The latest version of the Hi-Power from FN does not have the disconnect thus improving the trigger they say.

I sometimes shoot with "the Boys" in my church. They told me last time that they saw Ed eject a round from the chamber, drop the magazine, point the gun at the wall, in a safe direction, and pull the trigger. BANG! Ed was the only one who was surprised. "Why did you do that?" the Boys asked. A man with 20+years of experience with guns had no answer. He did fix the hole in the wall, however.

Best Regards!
BrianD