View Single Post

Old 03-12-2024, 01:44 AM

Liked 7,134 Times in 3,024 Posts

Remington chased Winchester for 35 years trying to get a shotshell case as good as the AA. Then Winchester went cheap and the bean counters killed the compression formed. The Remington 20 ga RXP was already a better case than 20 ga AAs. Rem STS cases are as good as you can get. The 28 STS is actually not very much better than the old AA 28. The AA 410 was a good long lasting case for a 410 but so inconsistent on inside volume you could not usually get a full half ounce of shot in 'em. I ended up loading Remington 410s or Fed/estate because you could get slightly more than a 1/2 ounce...a legal load but about 10 more shot per shell. Makes a difference in clay target games. Tightening chokes up also helps 28/410. I typically shot modified chokes in the 410 esp in practice. When refereeing one day I had a competitor complain about anothers load in 410. He was crushing targets. I took 8 shells at random...all AA reloads. At the end of the round the chief ref had to cut the shells open weigh and count the shot in those shells All were slightly under 1/2 ounce and within the range of the number of shot. As I knew they would be. He had just tightened his chokes and shot the birds. I actually went to 8 1/2 shot in the 410...less shot...but bigger and broke targets better. Killed doves better too
The Following 3 Users Like Post: