View Single Post

Old 03-13-2024, 07:01 AM

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Butcher View Post
Not a great deal of lead 90 grain data out there.

Lyman #49 has some 90 grain jacketed bullets with 3.1 to 3.5 Bullseye going 1008 fps or so. I would try 3.8 of WW231 at 980 fps. Most of the accuracy loads were with WW231 at similar pressures to Bullseye.

I have been loading 32 S&W Long for about 40 years. here are a few things I learned about lead SWC's in that time.

Don't worry about leading the barrel. Proper fit is important, but some barrels lead no matter what! (Even at the high 900's you should be fine!) I believe it has to with the type and quality of the rifling.

The discontinued Hornady 90 grain SWC is soft lead. wax lube and very accurate! The Lee 90 gr SWC tumble lube shoots poor no matter what hardness!

A RNFP of the same weight is more accurate than a SWC, because of the higher percentage of bearing surface.

On small game, a solid hit with 90 gr SWC's is a good show!

Ivan
Thank for the insights gained from your experience!

I have now changed my bullet mold choice, even though I have purchased the Lee mold. I have ordered a NOE 315-102-SWC five cavity mold. Mainly because I can produce a bunch more bullets with a five cavity versus a 2 cavity with about the same effort.

Question: