View Single Post

Old 03-17-2024, 07:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 40,194 Times in 10,212 Posts

Personally I have never had a rimfire case rim rupture and have fired 10s of thousands.

The elastic limit is the maximum stress that a material can withstand without undergoing permanent deformation. Once the stress exceeds the elastic limit, the material will not return to its original shape and size when the stress is removed.

IE a cylinder would bulge

The tensile strength, on the other hand, is the maximum stress that a material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before it breaks. It is a measure of the material's ability to resist breaking under tension.

IE cylinder comes apart

I do not believe you could wreck a I frame cylinder of any vintage with factory ammo of any kind.

I firmly believe a gun with excess headspace or endshake wold be far more apt to rupture a rim fire case head. Excess headspace would allow the head to expand rearward stretching and thinning it.

A rifle with excess headspace will suffer case head separations right in front of the very thick case head, allow gasses to escape and blow back into the shooters face although many rifles are made to vent most of the gasses to the side.

Pierced primers can vent back also

Last edited by steelslaver; 03-17-2024 at 07:25 PM.