View Single Post

Old 03-17-2024, 07:25 PM

Liked 18,574 Times in 7,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
Speaking of steel stuff, which I don't necessarily understand; but I'm betting "steelslaver" does, here's some rather interesting comments from D.B. Wesson in a 1934 letter to a customer inquiring about the heat treating of the cylinder on the .22 Outdoorsman he's ordered.

"The steel that is used in the cylinder of the K-.22 is identical in formula with that used in the larger calibers, but it is not heat-treated after machining as the great thickness of the cylinder walls do not demand any further strengthening. (This next bit is rather enlightening.) As a matter of fact, even in our larger calibers the steel as it comes from the mill shows a tensile strength in the neighborhood of 80,000 lbs., which does not make the additional strength gained by treating a necessity, but we do very much prefer the greatly increased factor of safety that is obtained with the 130,000 lbs. elastic limit that the treating gives."

I wondered about the difference between "tensile strength" and "elastic limit" the first time around, so I looked it up. All I can tell you today without looking it up again is there's a difference.

As an aside, this fellow asking the questions has also ordered a big Outdoorsman (.38/44)---and also knew about Sharpe's ongoing development of what was to become the 357 Magnum cartridge---and was using a big Outdoorsman as his test bed. Maybe he wanted to know about how far he could push his new .38/44 Outdoorsman. All I know is he could push it a whole lot further than what came to be the regular 357 Magnum cartridge. As I recall Wesson's comments in his Scrapbook, some of Sharpe's development loads scared the pants right off of him!

Ralph Tremaine
IIRC, in simple terms, tensile strength is a measure of how much stress the material can withstand before fracturing (a.k.a. a KABOOM in revolvers).

The elastic limit is a measure of how much stress the material can withstand and still "spring back" to it's original form.

Comparing them is kinda' like the difference between something bending (and bouncing back) vs, breaking.

But it has been a long time (30 years) since I took a materials sciences class...