View Single Post

Old 03-19-2024, 06:10 PM

Liked 7,066 Times in 2,394 Posts

It was OK, not riveting by any means...by contrast Greyhound was great, trust Mr. Hanks. I worked with a guy that had served on a WWII sub chaser and will never forget the way he stood and walked as if he was still rolling in heavy seas. Those guys were a special breed. My boat got busted up in heavy seas during Typhoon Kate back in Nam, we lost our engines due to a cracked hull which allowed salt water to pollute our fuel. We were basically surfing doing the best we could to avoid broaching, waves were big enough for us to hit a higher hull speed in the trough than when under full power. Long story short we were firing off Maydays, a Navy destroyer was within a few miles and got within a quarter mile but could not help us as he was having a tough time on his own. Never forget the sight of the destroyer disappearing, then watch the bow knife through the wave until the full boat was in view, then disappear again into the next trough. We finally got rescued by a Korean LST that got a line across our bow on the third attempt, then towed us to safe harbor. I've got a lot of respect for blue water sailors, you see one big storm like that and I don't care how big the boat is you got your hands full.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: