View Single Post

Old 03-20-2024, 06:04 AM

Liked 16,904 Times in 4,376 Posts

I just read about this recently on the Toolguyd website. (Corporate buyouts and who-owns-what are a hot topic there.) Time will tell but the comments there are not all that positive. Many feel that Starrett has been going downhill for some time, and many, like folks here, treasure their "old" Starrett gear.

Toolguyd has another interesting change-of-ownership article, but probaby not bad news as it's acquired these brands from their previous Chinese owners.

Canadian Company Acquired USA Drill Bit Brands
...Walter Surface Technologies, a Canadian-based company that “provides innovative solutions for the global metalworking industry,” has acquired Greenfield Industries, a group of USA-based tooling manufacturers, from TDC, which is based in China.

Greenfield Industries includes brands such as Cleveland, Chicago-Latrobe, Cle-Line, and Greenfield Threading, which have maintained “robust manufacturing capabilities and infrastructure” in the USA.

These brands produce drill bits, thread-cutting taps, and other such tooling.

Walter is acquiring Greenfield Industries from the Top-Eastern Group (TDC), a Chinese-based company that specializes in drill bits and similar cutting tools...
I had no idea that Walter Surface Technologies was Canadian. Based in Quénec. They make good stuff. I usually buy Cle-line or Triumph drill bits.