View Single Post

Old 03-20-2024, 05:50 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 11,190 Times in 3,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
I hate to tell you guys, but I think those grips have been artificially aged. They are pretty grips, but grips don't check that much on the end grain without showing wear, usually mild cracking on the side surfaces, darkening, staining, shrinkage, and just general loss on the large surfaces. I know a SA trader that has aged MANY a pair in his wife's oven. He was a master at baking that kind of checking into pristine grips.
Compare to a naturally aged set here- You speak American?
Obviously, Lee has forgotten more than I will EVER know!

I realize that what I am getting ready to write includes a lot of suspect, probably, guess, and other feelings of that sort. This is what I would wonder. The set of ivory grips on the Model 3 American were on “working man’s” gun from 150 years ago. I would suspect that they spent many, many, many days in harsh conditions including rain, extreme heat and cold, and who knows what else. Their care was probably nothing more than regular maintenance of the gun. On the other hand, I would guess that 444 magnum’s ivory grips because of their extravagance were probably babied their entire existence, spending their time on a display gun, indoors, etc. They definitely weren’t made to spend time on a daily user. Because of their age, they may have spent time in the heat or cold of the indoor type, but not nearly to the extent of the lawman’s grips. Is it possible that being babied, as opposed to living a harsh existence, could result in the differences in aging?
Larry