View Single Post

Old 03-23-2024, 07:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,202 Times in 724 Posts
Default What would you do? Prewar 38/44 Outdoorsman

Happy Saturday night everyone!

Need some advice. This gun has been tucked away for the last couple of years in the back of my safe and I pulled it out yesterday to figure out what I want to do with it. Here’s the deal.

I bought this online for $350 plus transfer ($10) knowing full well that it may just be a forever parts gun. It’s a prewar 38/44 Outdoorsman that had presumably been dropped out of a moving vehicle. I figure maybe it was a ranchers gun or something, or someone was shooting it outdoors, put it on the roof or tailgate and it took a spill.

As you can see the grip frame is a little tweaked, the barrel is tweaked too and off center, and the left Magna stock suffered a chip at the top. You can see the impact above the grip tang. It locks up fine, has mint bore and chambers, but has a hitch from a crooked ejector rod. All matching serials and original blued.

I’ve thought about buying a shadow box for it, and hanging it in my home office. I’ve thought about parting it out and maybe making my money back plus a little extra. And…. I’ve thought about sending it off to Frank Glenn or someone to try and straighten it out and make it serviceable. Or maybe I put it in a vice, use a wooden rod dowel, and give it a go myself.

I figure someone on the forums may have attempted to repair something like this at one time and I was hoping for your feedback. I also welcome other ideas on what you would do with this revolver. Here are some pics for reference! Thanks in advance

SVT28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Like Post: