View Single Post

Old 03-25-2024, 01:56 PM

Liked 329 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Nothing wrong with those stocks, as they look to be in great shape. I can tell from the color, and from experience, that the gold wash was so thin that you can not even clean them. I learned this early in my collecting days when I received a gun with worn stocks and dark medallions. I set about cleaning them with a Q-tip and Brasso. When done, they were as shinny as a new penney, but almost look sliver. There was a brief time when they looked like gold as the brass oxidized, then returned to dull color over time.

I took your picture and edited it to bring out where the brass was and where the gold remains. Look for the light silvery brass color on most of the left side, and the same color just on the raised portion on the right stock. I also added a new-old-stock set that our expert stock/grip restorer, Curtis, did that show the true color of unpolished original gold medallions. Hope this helps.

Could I get a little help from the brain trust?-img_1177-jpg
Could I get a little help from the brain trust?-gold-medalions-jpg
Thanks for your time. This is most helpful. You’ve mentioned before the comparisons to a known example! Experience is often an expensive instructor