View Single Post

Old 03-27-2024, 08:08 PM

Liked 1,903 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
I shot a .44 Magnum (for the very first time)-----once------one round of factory ammo----seated (back up against a tree), knees drawn up, two hand hold----hands resting on knees.

KABLAM!!!!

It was quite possibly the most shattering experience of my life! Right then and there I decided to pack up, go home, and come up with a civilized load. That civilized load turned out to be 18.5 grains of 2400 behind a 205 grain
gas checked SWC---which I was later told was a hot load for a .44 Special---but nothing approaching a magnum. That was fine by me!!

That load made for 6 round groups of 4" at 100 yards---from two different guns (6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk & an 8 3/8" S&W)---from the same set-up as my one and only round of factory fodder-------and it was civilized!!

I decided the folks who seemingly enjoyed shooting full house magnum loads were quite possibly in need of some sort of additional therapy in addition to whatever they were getting out of their shooting.

Then again, that old saying about different strokes for different folks pretty much explains any and everything----even the folks who get their kicks by making the earth spin backwards.

Ralph Tremaine
Then I'm just going to take a wild guess that shooting my 45-70 Derringer would be out of the question for you?

Last edited by luvsmiths; 03-27-2024 at 08:11 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: