Thread: 1066
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2024, 09:00 AM

Liked 593 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
In case anyone wants to jump on the idea of making their own 1016 I played with that thought in my initial workings on converting my 4013 to a 1013 & passed on it.

The 4013 & 4516, while both large frame compacts, are not identical, not surprisingly.

Naturally 4516 magazines have wider lip openings than 4013 mags but the magwells are, unfortunately, slightly different sizes in these two models. S&W fixed that oversight when they made the 3" barrelled CS40 & CS45 sub-compacts, some years later, which have magwells of the same dimensions & provides a basis for interchangeability.

The 4013 & 4516 frames have dust shields of different lengths. (The 4516 has a 3-3/4" bbl while the 4013 is 3-1/2" long)

Their ejectors are of different length.

The position at which their respective slides lock back on their frames have different relationships to each other, which is more of a problem in the .40 to 10mm conversion.

Of course none of this would have been a problem the factory couldn't have resolved in a finalizing a functional M1016. It's just harder after the fact.

I documented the above findings, & conversion process to 1013, in my picture laden thread here on the forum:

Genesis: 4013 to 1013 to 1016.
Bluedot: Excellemt brief on the details of the 4013 —> 1013 conversion.

With one exception, unless I missed it, my ‘smith pretty much did what you did. The exception was, he was really concerned with stout 10mm ammo and handloads (not even ‘max’ loads but a regular diet of upper mid-range stuff) battering the alum frame to the point of deformation or cracking.

So he machined a recess in the back of the frame to hold a plastic buffer, the type S&W once marketed for use in its large-frame 3rd pistols only, but which with his machining work my ‘smith was able to fit inside the 4013/1013 frame. The buffer, which can be replaced from time to time, helps to diminish frame-battering, felt-recoil is dampened a bit more, and the gun still runs 100%.

I've run only a very minimal amount of “Sonny Crockett Loads” through this little blaster, and that exercise was simply to satisfy my own masochistic curiosity as to how it would handle full-throttle 10mm ammo and equivalent handloads …. as well as the obligatory ‘shitz-n-giggles’ experience of what the resulting felt-recoil would be. That included Underwood’s 200grn 10mm JHP @1250fps and a handload I developed - topped with Hornady 200grn FMJ-FPs over AA#9 - that clocks 1227fps from my 5” Sig P220 DA/SA Match Elite, as vetted by my buddy’s chronograph.

The experience was about what you’d expect from a 3.5” 10mm Pocket Rocket. So for practical reasons (i.e., to keep it intact for EDC) I pretty much feed it only mid-range-to-upper mid-range ammo.

ETA: Attached is a pic of the buffer seated inside the machined frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1377.jpg (114.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Frank Black; 03-28-2024 at 01:01 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: