Thread: NIB 39-2
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2024, 03:48 PM

Liked 14,878 Times in 5,059 Posts

Our fine forum (and all gun forums) have legions of high energy, high volume posters who are absolutely dead set on the idea that all guns must be shot without exception.

I don’t agree with them, I believe their take is highly emotional and yet lacks depth and reason. It almost seems to be a very novice take, the sort of position one might have when young and inexperienced. It certainly offends people when I offer this opinion… though offending is not my intention.

I think this gorgeous pistol is a fantastic example of a pistol that I would NEVER shoot! I have three 39’s in my safe and I know that with four hundred bucks I could probably grab another at the next gun show… though it would take more hundreds to get a package like this one.

Roy tells us that more than 347,000 of these great pistols were made from the early 1950’s until 1982.

The analytical side of my brain thinks it’s just plain silly to ever shoot a piece in that condition, especially when so more are out there in fantastic used condition to be enjoyed right now.

For sure, I absolutely defend anyone’s right to do whatever they choose with guns they own. Even if that means you take an electro-pencil to it and scrawl “Boston Red Sox” on the slide. (I would hate the idea but I defend your right to do it.)

There are folks that believe this pistol too needs to be shot… like somehow this pistol has a functional brain and sits there in the box dreaming of a day where it will get to chuck hot brass and make noise.

I wouldn’t. It’s perfect just as you show it.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: