SWCA Member

Liked 7,353 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
Here is what I see..
Rev #1 listed as engraved by Richard Bates Inshaw
Rev #2 listed as engraved by F.W. Martin
Single Shot Wesson possibly engraved by Inshaw

Only looking at the engraving style(s), cutting techniques, skill level in cutting, artistic layout, shading, ect...
I'd would say the 3 different firearms were engraved by 3 different people.

The Wesson pistol pattern, shading, style of scroll, ect has little in common with Revolver #1 (Inshaw engraved).
Though they both have smooth scroll to scroll transition (the Wesson being the better), the shading and detail given to the scroll work is completely different betw them.

The Wesson scroll has multiple closely spaced, actually touching, shading lines tangent from the main scroll and coming outward. A very common shading technique. Done with a single point hand graver.
Then there is the use of a multi line 'Liner Graver' to add shading to the main scroll plus the other scrolls that turn off of the main scroll.
The engraver uses it tipped up on edge to make it cut at some times only 2 lines at a time, and then carefully lowers the graver to engage more of it's lined surface to cut more 'Lines' as the cut continues.
It's a way of producing shading that can look nearly the same as single point shading. But the big give-away is that the lines are always parallel and never converge as you can make them do in single line shading.
It is quite fast to do however.

Other techniques that are seen on the Wesson engraved pistol are the use of the hollow punch background,,But,,in this engraving the punch marks are carefully place so as not to overlap one another. They sit side-by-side.
On the Rev #1 & #2,,the HollowPunch is also used as a background punch. But in this instance it is used to 'stipple' the background. It is used in a random manner in which the punch marks cover the area and themselves in matting the surface completely.

The background style use of the hollow punch as ween on the Wesson pistol is the same style that you will see used by the Winchester, Marlin, Colt engravers of the era.

The Hollow punch on the Wesson pistol was also used to make the small 3 or 4 diminishing size half circle marks inside the scrolls. These are placed at the convergent lines where a leaf or inside scroll comes togeher with the main inside scroll line. Just a style type and you will see it often.
While the hollow punch was used on the Wesson holding it tipped to one side when struck,,the Rev#1 & Rev #2 patterns have those same accent marks in the scroll work. But they are placed there by use of a graver (at least on #1), Small cuts with a V point or even a small flat graver. Not as bold as the hollow punch mark.

The Wesson pattern makes use of the Wriggle Cut quite a bit around the frame and on the bbl as well.
The same flat graver being 'walked' along the surface that the Wolf&Klar engraved guns are noted for being engraved.
Different width flat gravers held at different angles to the work and worked at different wrist speeds gives you unlimited variations of the same 'cut'

That's just some of the differences in the two pieces Rev#1 and the Wesson that I see in the Engraving.
I look at them from the standpoint of do I think they were done by the same person,,not were they done by the same person named Richard Inshaw.

Rev#2 ..
The overall engraving pattern is not as well laid out as the other 2.
Not as smooth as far as the scrolls, arcs and how how one scroll joins or departs from another.
There is some out of round issue to the scroll(s) in some parts and the scrolls don't wind around smoothly and to a nice tip.
Shading is scant and doesn't follow any particular pattern. Some Liner work here and there. Plenty of the accent marks, the half circle marks at the convergance point inside the scrolls. It looks like maybe the engraver used the background punch tipped on it's side,,but then it may be that they are simple cut with a graver. Can't really tell, but he liked to use that the technique as there are plenty of them!

So that's what I see when looking at the 3.

I'll add that it is very tough to assign a 'style' or cut to an engraver and be able to look at a piece of work and say 'so and so' did that.
I know there are those that say so, but there are way to many variables in the mix.
If these two revolvers are not engraved by Robert Bates Inshaw, I would imagine one of the two, most probably the first one I posted, was engraved by F W Martin. Please correct me if my assumption is misleading. And so, who would have engraved this other revolver?